Friday, April 25, 2014

Do the Wave

As a common curtosey, it is customary for passing boats to acknowledge each other with a wave.  We mastered that skill in Oriental where everybody waves all the time.

So far today we have encountered the largest variety of wave styles to date.  Most boats will have one person on wave duty.  The Coast Guard opts to have the entire crew wave.  Typically it's just a hand placed in the high five position.  The friendlier boats will add some movement to their waves.  Some atypical waves included the two fingers pointed like a gun wave, the surfer wave, the salute wave, and amongst the younger generation, the head nod. 

I opt to use the moving hand wave regardless of the extra caloric output.  We are a friendly boat.  After we had a slight grounding while in the middle of the ICW this morning, I used the full arm sweeping wave to a passing yacht who read to us depths and offered to give us a tow off.  I dub that my gratitude wave.  Ironically they were in a vessel designed by the same people that made our boat.  

Each member of our crew has invented their own style of wave. 


Kai "the cow phone wave" - having nothing to do with his beef hotdog, he thought his fist looked like a cow with horns which could also serve as a phone when angled


Fal "the wave of peace"


K "the wave dun dun dun" (que music)


G "the ziggy" 


Pip "the bark"- especially to boats speeding past us

Regardless of the wave style, if you are gonna stare at the boat, pass us some hand acknowledgement or the head nod. It makes us feel better.  Don't leave us hanging- that happens out here too.  


3 comments:

  1. This is so great to read and see the pics! I feel like I'm with you and in reality I wish I were. I am so proud of you and am living this awesome adventure through you. Your stories are so creative and so much fun to read. Love you all soooooo much!! Love mom and noni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask Kai if I can have a bite of his hot dog.
    Ask Fal if she has ever heard of "the age of Aquarius"
    Ask K if he thinks he could still play the drums while keeping his hands like that.
    Ask G if he's impersonating Richard Nixon's victory sign.
    Ask J where in the world she got her writing 7 photography skills. (Not from me!)
    Tell everyone that my preferred wave is to stick my index finger in my nostril, then wiggle my hand back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pic of you in the blue sweatshirt Jen. Just gorgeous inside and out. I'll have to think about my signature wave so that I have it down to a science by the time I come back down...gonna be hard to come up with something as cool as ya'lls--especially Pips. Hehe. Love you, Sarah

    ReplyDelete